A very important California law designed to protect vulnerable elders and disabled adults is silently coming under attack by a proposed Federal bill (H.R. 1215), and no one knows.
H.R. 1215 is likely to be discussed in the federal House of Representatives this week. If approved, it will go to the federal Senate floor next week. Hidden within H.R. 1215 is language that will gut elder abuse protections in California and across the United States. You can read H.R. 1215 at www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/house-bill/1215/text.
If H.R. 1215 passes and becomes law, cases where elderly and disabled adults suffered tragic injuries and heartbreaking deaths will no longer be feasible. Examples include:
- What happened to you and your family.
- A nursing home illegally “dumped” a blind and oxygen-dependent resident at a motel with ramen noodles and a broken oxygen tank. He died 3 days later from no oxygen.
- An 88-year-old stroke sufferer was raped by nursing home worker and contracted genital herpes. (www.cnn.com/interactive/2017/02/health/nursing-home-sex-abuse-investigation)
- An 80-year-old woman with dementia was left unattended and walked out of a locked dementia unit. She walked down multiple streets and parking lots until she was hit by a truck going 35 mph. She died from blunt force trauma.
We CANNOT let H.R. 1215 become law. Please contact your federal representatives and demand they vote NO against H.R. 1215. Here’s how:
1. Send a letter to Congress online: www.takejusticeback.com/ProtectMyRightToFight
2. Call your federal House Representative. You can find his or her phone number here: www.house.gov/representatives/find
3. Call Senator Diane Feinstein at (202) 224-3841.
4. Call Senator Kamala Harris at (202) 224-3553.
Tell them what happened to you and your family. Tell them you stand on the side of the elderly. Your voice will make a difference! Please call us at (415) 362-9800 if you have any questions.